Friday, January 23, 2015

from my bookshelf


Cancer... its a really scary word. I think everyone gets a little cringy when you hear the word cancer. Someone close to me recently has been diagnosed with a brain tumor, given months to live, even with aggressive treatments. To say life is different now as I switch from work mode, to caretaker mode, doctor appointment attender, etc. is an understatement. However, I do believe that knowledge is power, and the best thing one can do is to become a bit more informed, and feel a little less helpless. A friend, who knows I am a reader, suggested that I pick up Bryan Bishop's Shrinkage about his own brain cancer, was pretty smart. I devoured this book, knowing that not everyone's experiences are the same, but feeling like I had a viewpoint on what the next few months of life will be like while this is tackled for my close someone.  I am sure I'll dive in more once the sting of the news wears off more, and  decide I want to share.

Bryan tackles the tough stuff, while including some humorous thoughts. I definitely found myself going between laughing and crying, but feeling like I know what radiation will be like. I was able to ask about the radiation mask (don't google that, it's really weird and sort of scary), and be informed all because I read.  I am sure the doctors love me and my questions, but this poised me to ask some of the questions that I wouldn't have known to ask.


4 comments:

  1. Hope it's not strange to have a stranger comment on a more personal post like this, but there's a reader thinking of you and the loved one going through a rough time. Wishing you some peace and rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katrina- I don't think it's strange at all. I think it's so important to support people even if we only know them from our little space of the internet.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jill,

    I'm really glad you found my book helpful. I hope your friend does well with treatment.

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bryan-

    Thank you so much for writing about your journey. I really appreciate all the insights- I am keeping you in my thoughts as well.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete