Thursday, February 5, 2015

post super bowl musings



I confess that I had hoped to write this post Monday - right after the Super Bowl, however the flu had some other thoughts. I am in that sort of recovered but not really, and really the less food I can eat the better I feel in general about life. Anyways onward and upwards.

I moved out of New England in August of 2007, prior to that year I had never lived anywhere but what I'll call Patriot's nation. At this point I had watched my team (who were my team when things were not good) win three championships - becoming one of those teams everyone loves to hate. Trust me, everyone loves to hate the Pats kind of the same way people love to hate the Yankees. Upon my move, I ended up in Giant's territory - one of the few teams that in most circumstances a Patriots fan could also love - different division, only true place where upsets could happen would be... the Super Bowl.

Well, wouldn't you know, my first football season in a new place, where there's this weird broadcast rule about only playing in market games at certain times, the Patriots had the perfect season until - the New York Giants won the final showdown that year. I watched that game - I know that the Patriots clearly forgot to come to play that day, and well the Giants took them to town.  It was a very sad day for all of us and Tom Brady.

My luck would not change in 2011, when the Giants and the Patriots would meet again in the Super Bowl. It was another heartbreaking loss - but it was when I started to wonder about if it was me who was bringing luck to the home team (as in the home I lived in).

This past season the Patriots started rough... the questioning of Tom Brady's skills were in serious debate as the season started. However, the team got it together and made it to the Super Bowl. I started to question if finally, after moving back to New England the Patriots would finally win the Super Bowl after so many close tries. I watched on Sunday night (more psyched for that Budweiser Puppy commercial) - and as the game ticked down I was certain that the Seahawks were going to make that final score when Malcolm Butler made that interception to win the game. Say what you will, Tom Brady, Gronk, Malcolm Butler - you may have been on the field - but I came home and that's why you won the game.

You're welcome New England - let's do it again!

(image via )

2 comments:

  1. Haha love it. That interception by butler was incredible. I heard on the radio this morning that Tom Brady want to fine him his his Nov truck and to that I say Hell Ya. He deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha love it. That interception by butler was incredible. I heard on the radio this morning that Tom Brady want to fine him his his Nov truck and to that I say Hell Ya. He deserves it.

    ReplyDelete