Monday, May 19, 2014

from my bookshelf



I had doing a good job avoiding starting book five of the Game of Thrones - I read quite a few books before I started into the final published book - it was a good little break. I've been so invested in GoT since the beginning of the year, it was refreshing to read something with new characters.  Here's some new recommendations for books I've enjoyed recently.

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson. A teenaged girl returns to the family summer time home as her father battles his final months with cancer. A coming of age book, as the main character has to redeem herself with the summer friends she hurt years ago, as well as deal with a major family tragedy. I laughed, I cried, I cried some more.

The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. A book that takes place in Australia, and all the husbands have a secret or two up their sleeves, but the all the characters are very interestingly intertwined. My heart broke for several of the characters, but there was also redemption. Moral of the story, everyone has a secret, but hopefully people are good deep down.

The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes. A return to an author who touched my soul on the last book I read by her. Another interesting twist here, some of the book takes place during World War I in France, and the other part in modern day London. Involving a piece of art, the two stories are woven together in a unique way.

What have your read lately? Any series I should go for once I finish the final Game of Thrones?

No comments:

Post a Comment