Wednesday, August 15, 2012

let me go home

I really think I devour books- I am the book monster these days. I spent another night wide awake finishing The Road Home by Rose Tremain. This novel takes place in London, following Lev- a Russian gentleman seeking his fortune after he is widowered and left jobless in his homeland. I loved his work ethic and drive to succeed, while he strived for a better life and opportunity for himself and as well as his family and friends left behind. This novel hit home on the personal relationships in Lev’s lives, how his friends and family were so important to him, and that he’d do anything in his power to improve their lives. I found the contrasts to life in Russia and the more modern London very interesting – making me wonder how people lived in both communism and post communism times.

No comments:

Post a Comment