Thursday, August 2, 2012

live in the past

Summer and I are getting a lot of reading in, I think it has to with just picking some really good books that I want to know what happens next. Sooner or later I am going to have to start hiding the books from myself so I can fall asleep at a normal time.

The Given Day by Dennis Lehane, was a very interesting book interweaving the lives of two young men in 1918, taking place in Boston. I found myself looking up many of the historic events in the book, just to get more of a background. It definitely showed a city on the verge of a breakdown as events throughout the book ended with the Boston Police Strike. I really enjoy historical fiction and this did not disappoint, it even brought forth Babe Ruth as a secondary character who saw many of the events brewing. A struggle of race, class, and injustices I highly recommend this to just about anyone looking for a good long read.



No comments:

Post a Comment